Update: You’ve reached an old page and this position has been filled.
Your role will be to fully understand all my content and products so you can help my readers and customers get what they need. I receive a lot of questions and requests about my site, my services, and the products I sell, and I need a team member who can learn about all of these well enough to eventually answer most questions without my assistance.
Your role will include the following regular duties:
- Respond daily to reader requests and questions via email, on blog posts, and on my Facebook page.
- Review feedback on Teachers Pay Teachers so we can quickly address problems that might arise.
- Thoroughly learn about Cult of Pedagogy’s services and offerings so you can quickly meet readers’ needs.
- Maintain a bank of reader questions and topics of interest for future blog posts and products.
- Schedule content (provided for you) on Twitter (training provided if necessary).
You will start at 10 hours per week for a one-month trial period. The hours themselves are flexible, and we will work out a schedule that fits your life. After the one-month trial period, we may expand your role and hours, but the total weekly hours should not exceed 20. I am very reluctant to hire anyone for this position who currently holds a full-time teaching job; I want teachers to focus on their students, and because I fully understand the demands of teaching, I do not think a full-time teacher would be able to grow with us in the way I would hope.
This will be a “virtual” position, so you can do the work from home. I would prefer someone in North America, because it would be easier to communicate if we are in roughly the same time zone, but I will consider applicants from other areas.
You will be paid by the hour. Your rate will be discussed in the application process.
- Outstanding customer service skills: You need to be able to respond to any request or question with a friendly and professional demeanor every single time. This includes situations when you do not have an answer right away or a reader is hostile.
- Outstanding writing skills: This position requires writing on a daily basis. It is essential that all of your outgoing communication be clear, concise, and mechanically correct. If you struggle in this area, this job will not be a good fit.
- Background in education: The vast majority of questions that come in are from teachers who need advice or resources. My ideal team member would have several years of classroom experience in a U.S. public school, because this would lend itself best to understanding the kinds of questions that come in. Those who have worked in a related job, in a private school setting, or in another country will be considered, but you would need to demonstrate a strong knowledge of the U.S. education system.
- Tech skills: Experience with Google Drive, Google Docs, and Dropbox are essential. A working knowledge of Facebook and Google Sheets (or Microsoft Excel) are useful. I prefer to communicate with the Voxer app, so I need someone who is willing to add this to their smartphone and use it. If you also have experience with WordPress and Instagram, definitely mention that.
- Familiarity with Cult of Pedagogy’s offerings: Strong preference will be given to candidates who know the material on this site, my paid products and courses, and my YouTube videos. A big part of the hired candidate’s role will be to direct readers to the resources that can best meet their needs, and these could be any combination of items from the above list. Please do not send this job listing to friends or relatives who might have some of the desired skills, but are not Cult of Pedagogy readers.
- Sense of humor: This person will work closely with me, and I have a hard time working with people who can’t laugh at themselves. The ideal candidate will be someone who takes their work VERY seriously but themselves not so much.
Using my contact form, put “Customer Experience Representative” in the subject line, then attach a single PDF that includes all of the following:
- A cover letter introducing yourself, describing your interest in this position and why you feel you are the ideal candidate
- A current resume or CV that includes the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of 3 professional references
- A 300- to 500-word written response to this question: “How does Cult of Pedagogy provide value to teachers?”
- A link to a video of you (3 minutes or less) telling me some things about you and why I should hire you. The easiest way to do this would be to upload it to a YouTube account but set the video as unlisted; that way only I can view it and you don’t have to make it public.
(Take note: The above task is somewhat complicated, requires agility with several kinds of technology, and asks you to follow very specific directions. None of that is an accident.)
Applications for this position will be taken until August 20, 2018.